Re: Emms not working with MPD

From: Alexis Praga
Subject: Re: Emms not working with MPD
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 10:48:19 +0200

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> Perhaps you need to reset the cache.
>
> If it still doesn't work we'll need a more detailed recipe to recreate
> the problem, since what you've described so far works fine here.
>
> Perhaps someone with more mpd experience will be able to chime in as
> well.
>
> --
>    "Cut your own wood and it will warm you twice"

Resetting the cache does not help.

To try to be reproductible, I've also tried with vanilla emacs (without Doom).

1. Configuring emms with :

    (require 'emms-setup)
    (require 'emms-player-mpd)
    (emms-all)
    (setq emms-player-list '(emms-player-mpd))
    (add-to-list 'emms-info-functions 'emms-info-mpd)
    (add-to-list 'emms-player-list 'emms-player-mpd)

    (setq emms-player-mpd-server-name "localhost")
    (setq emms-player-mpd-server-port "6600")
    (setq emms-player-mpd-music-directory "/data/music")

2. Mpd is configured with

   music_directory              "/data/music"
   playlist_directory           "/var/mpd/.mpd/playlists"
   db_file                      "/var/mpd/.mpd/database"
   log_file                     "/var/mpd/.mpd/log"
   pid_file                     "/var/mpd/.mpd/pid"
   state_file                   "/var/mpd/.mpd/state"
   sticker_file                 "/var/mpd/.mpd/sticker.sql"
   user                         "mpd"
   bind_to_address              "any"
   port                         "6600"
   audio_output {
        type            "oss"
                name            "My OSS Device"
            }

2. Running

   (emms-player-mpd-connect)
   (emms-player-mpd-update-all-reset-cache)

Never finishes :

   Updating DB with ID 1.  Waiting for the update to finish...
   MPD update finished.
   Dumping MusicPD data to cache...

I'm using Emacs 28 but had the same issue with emacs 27. Also, I'm on
FreeBSD.
If you have any idea, I'll be happy to test them.