Re: Emms not working with MPD

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Emms not working with MPD
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 08:48:52 -0400

Alexis Praga <alexis.praga@gmail.com> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:
>
>> Perhaps you need to reset the cache.
>>
>> If it still doesn't work we'll need a more detailed recipe to recreate
>> the problem, since what you've described so far works fine here.
>>
>> Perhaps someone with more mpd experience will be able to chime in as
>> well.
>>
>> --
>>    "Cut your own wood and it will warm you twice"
>
> Resetting the cache does not help.
>
> To try to be reproductible, I've also tried with vanilla emacs (without Doom).
>
> 1. Configuring emms with :
>
>     (require 'emms-setup)
>     (require 'emms-player-mpd)
>     (emms-all)
>     (setq emms-player-list '(emms-player-mpd))
>     (add-to-list 'emms-info-functions 'emms-info-mpd)
>     (add-to-list 'emms-player-list 'emms-player-mpd)
>
>     (setq emms-player-mpd-server-name "localhost")
>     (setq emms-player-mpd-server-port "6600")
>     (setq emms-player-mpd-music-directory "/data/music")
>
> 2. Mpd is configured with
>
>    music_directory            "/data/music"
>    playlist_directory         "/var/mpd/.mpd/playlists"
>    db_file                    "/var/mpd/.mpd/database"
>    log_file                   "/var/mpd/.mpd/log"
>    pid_file                   "/var/mpd/.mpd/pid"
>    state_file                 "/var/mpd/.mpd/state"
>    sticker_file                       "/var/mpd/.mpd/sticker.sql"
>    user                               "mpd"
>    bind_to_address            "any"
>    port                               "6600"
>    audio_output {
>       type            "oss"
>               name            "My OSS Device"
>             }
>
> 2. Running
>
>    (emms-player-mpd-connect)

    - I added tracks on the remote machine.

    - I reset the cache locally, followed by killing all emms playlist
      buffers.

    - I then ran

        (emms-player-mpd-connect)

    - Then I checked the playlist buffer (not the browser) and saw that
      all of the remote tracks now appear on the local playlist buffer.

    - It is also possible at this point to select a track and hear it
      playing on the remote machine.

Does that much work?