[fluid-dev] [ANN] Beta test of the Resonance Instrument Database

From: Josh Green
Subject: [fluid-dev] [ANN] Beta test of the Resonance Instrument Database
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:58:40 -0700

I'm happy to announce the initial beta testing of the Resonance
Instrument Database: http://sounds.resonance.org.

This project aims to provide a powerful and comprehensive database of
free instrument files.  There is still a bit of work to be done, but at
this point it is ready for content to be added.

Current features:
- Support for SoundFont, DLS and GigaSampler files
- Files are compressed with the CRAM format, an open standard for
compressing audio/binary hybrid files using FLAC and zlib
- User accounts
- Users can submit instruments
- Instruments may be uploaded in a number of different compression
formats and the import process will attempt to extract all files and
re-compress as a CRAM archive
- Detailed information stored for files (all instrument and sample
names, bank and program numbers, sample formats, etc).
- Forums
- Comments and ratings system

Currently there isn't much content in the database yet, so I'm looking
for others who would be willing to submit their favorite free
instruments from the web or of ones own creation.

I am also looking for anyone interested in mirroring the instrument
archive.  If you have some available bandwidth and hard disk space
please contact me.

One additional note is that CRAM is currently part of the libInstPatch
library.  Currently CVS is probably the best version to get.  I'll be
making a release in the next week and try to get a version out for Win32
and Mac OS as well.  CRAM is only needed when downloading instruments,
so its not that necessary yet (at least not until there is something to
download :)   Best regards,
        Josh Green