[fluid-dev] Re: [ANN] Beta test of the Resonance Instrument Database

From: RittervomNie
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: [ANN] Beta test of the Resonance Instrument Database
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:05:07 +0200

Josh Green schrieb:
I'm really looking forward to contribute some hardware-synth samples (Novation A Station, Waldorf Rack Attack, Vermona DRM MK II...).

I think its probably generally breaking copyright laws to distribute
hardware synth samples.  Its an issue that I'll likely have to deal with
on an ongoing basis with the instrument database.  Licensing hell.  This
        Josh Green

I had the same discussion on hydrogen's site. If I decide to mix a sine wave with a square wave, add some filter and reverb to it and make it sound unisono it becomes my sound. A sound (after my opinion) may never be the same like a song, so it needs better definition of what can be licensed (a dogs bark reverse played) and what cannot be licensed (4 notes making a bassline, SNAP had a similar problem, when using 4 notes as a bassline. At the end the court said: "4 notes are not a work of art, so no licensing necessary").

So if I were to contribute "my" recordings of "my" hardware synths as GIG-files, and when "I" write "free for everyone to use for whatever, but not for killing people or doing harm to any lifeform" into the Copyright-INFO-Block, everybody is free to use it for whatever...

Any lawyer 'round here, reading this? I never heard of a musician, using hardware samplers, who was sentenced for using a MiniMOOG, Prophet or any other hardware synth and selling the songs created with 'em. If I buy some equipment I already payed for the ultimate license to use it and do whatever I want (I'm even able to use the synth for digging up weeds or turn the surface into a work of art, without asking for permission). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Afterall a sampled synth never sounds like a real one, so the sample and the synth are two different things. To turn the knobs is my work of art and I decide who can use it and what for...

In other words: Do you need to ask the developers of fluid synth, if you can use your created saw stack for commercial purpose? (The difference is: selling the software and selling the work of art created with it. First fact is false, second fact would be true. Fluidsynth stays the same but your song becomes #1.)