[fluid-dev] Re: [ANN] Beta test of the Resonance Instrument Database

From: Josh Green
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: [ANN] Beta test of the Resonance Instrument Database
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:58:45 -0700

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 07:48 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Josh Green schrieb:
> > I'm happy to announce the initial beta testing of the Resonance
> > Instrument Database: http://sounds.resonance.org.
> >
> I had a look at it and like it in some way, despite the lack of samples
> *g*. I'd like to contribute to the archive but this will need some time.
> After upgrading glib and Qt linuxsampler doesn't work anymore and my
> perl-based gig-write gizmo's broken too. No I'll stay off for a while
> and build linux from scratch, dependencies suck (esp. when dealing with
> distros that change packages every 6 months totally).
>
> I'm really looking forward to contribute some hardware-synth samples
> (Novation A Station, Waldorf Rack Attack, Vermona DRM MK II...).

I think its probably generally breaking copyright laws to distribute
hardware synth samples.  Its an issue that I'll likely have to deal with
on an ongoing basis with the instrument database.  Licensing hell.  This
is one area that can be improved though, if instrument authors are
better informed.  If those making instruments have a clear idea of how
they want their instruments used, better choices can be made in making
it clear to the user how they are permitted to use their work (like
picking an actual license from Creative Commons for example).  Often the
licensing terms of a so called "free" instrument aren't specified in the
file, and therefore its really hard to know if it really is free or not.
Best regards,
        Josh Green