[fluid-dev] Re: lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over the we

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over the weekend)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:00:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: address@hidden <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over
> the weekend)
> To: "jimmy" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Monday, October 19, 2009, 11:25 AM
> Hello Jimmy,
>
> I was also experiencing this.  Try increasing the Jack
> timeout delay (-t 2000 for example, to set it to 2
> seconds).
>
> I'm not sure why this is occurring.  Makes me wonder
> if its related to what SoundFont is being loaded
> though..  Hmm.

Hi Josh,

I tried again, same midi file at "http://mmacdonald.com/midi/XG/Conquistador 3K
MM.MID".  Note that this is a fairly busy, quick tempo/pace.

As I type this, I use the mouse to drag the scroll bar in a GUI text editor,
with the midi song playing in the background, I definitely hear the jitters
during the mouse drag.  Not surprising, just mention it here anyway.

I increase the Jackd timeout to 1000 (1 second).  The song plays to the end for
all the soundfonts.  Of course Fluidsynth non-verbose mode give the leaast
jitters, verbose mode the most jitters while the Fluidsynth process is in the
foreground, a little less noisy when another window/process is in the
foreground.  The following are about the noise/jitters in Fluidsynth verbose
mode.

Unison.sf2 seems to give the least noise/jitters for me.  It is also the
smaller soundfont compare to the ones listed below.

(Personal Copy's) PC51f.sf2, FluidR3_GM.sf2, GeneralUser_GS_SoftSynthv1.43.sf2
are fairly noisy in Fluidsynth verbose mode.

SGM-V2.01.sf2 seems to give the most jitters, is the largest of these
soundfonts.

It seems the soundfont sample size may contribute to some processing
(rendering, mixing) delays perhaps?  Which may contributes to the delinquency
of Fluidsynth ability to respond quick enough for Jackd?

I also tried vkeybd while playing the midi song.  There is no noticeable delay
from vkeybd via jackd to fluidsynth, which should be excellent for live playing
if there is no random the noise/jitters at times.

Jimmy