[fluid-dev] Re: lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over the we

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over the weekend)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 06:32:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, David Henningsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> First - thanks for helping out with the much needed
> testing!

Actually thanks to all those who have contributed to the project.

> Out of curiosity, you mentioned aplaymidi before. Do you
> play the song via aplaymidi and alsa-seq drivers, or do you
> supply the midi file to fluidsynth on the command line?

Short answer:  for this test, I use aplaymidi to send midi events via alsa-seq
to fluidsynth, which sends audio to jackd to the hardware driver.  Later I can
look into having audio effect plugins (i.e. jack-rack), have tried it, but
don't use sound effects much yet.

Round-about answer, it depends on what I feature(s) want to use.   I'm just
trying different things with different apps.

I used to use Kmid, but no one ported it to Qt4/Kde4 yet, not sure how long
before it would be called an orphan.

If I find time to practice playing the midi keyboard, I would like to play
(practice) along with some midi file(s).  With a separate app, I can use it to
send the midi event to "virtual midi port" and not having to worry about the
various midi-port number/name changes.  Patchage, or various other conneciton
saving apps haven't wow'ed me yet.

Sometimes I want to pick up a sequence of fast notes, for keyboard or guitar
practice, tempo control allows me to slow things down.

I want to be able to eventually play live on a midi keyboard, having the
PC/laptop as a decent sound module and arranger keyboard functions (live rhythm
machine with chord change cappability for accompaniments, with maybe a couple
of separate PC-keyboards for the arranger function controls).  Most of the
hardware arranger keyboards and rhythms machines have very limited user
interface, to me at least.

Generally for computer stuff, I prefer the Unix approach of using the best tool
for each task rather than a monolithic app, only run the tasks I need and each
of those can be changed or switched out for something better without too much
difficulties.  Most of the time monolithic apps are resource hogs and slow, it
would be worse if you don't like some part of it.  Users don't use all the
feautures all the time anyway.  I cringe everytime I bring up RoseGarden,
especially on some older laptops, or even older desktops.

For midi's with lyrics, I like Kmid's ability to display midi text/lyrics,
tempo change, transpose, keyboard note display.  Timidity lyrics display sucks,
only one interface allows decent control for skiping forward/backward, tempo
change, transpose, while note display maybe just in win32...  PyKaraoke is good
at lyrics display but doesn't have any other controls I want from time to time
like tempo change, transpose...

Rosegarden doesn't show lyrics, it does display notes for each midi channel in
realtime pretty well.  It allows lasso-select from the mouse to play the
selected notes as each note (or a bunch of notes) got selected.

Also use Timidity from time to time, it used to have an annoying "clicking"
problem with some soundfonts, which has been fixed in recent code change (last
few months to a year I think).  It was about some release parameters, or
looping ability of the sample, if I remember that right.

It may be nice to have all of those feature(s) in one huge app, but then the UI
might suffer, or I may not like how it may be presented, or the logical flow
sequence...  Also, for large apps like Rosegarden, or even Fluidsynth, it is a
pitty task to try to revamp, refactor, or add new functions.  No pun intended,
just a fact of life.

> > As I type this, I use the mouse to drag the scroll bar
> in a GUI text editor, with the midi song playing in the
> background, I definitely hear the jitters during the mouse
> drag.  Not surprising, just mention it here anyway.
>
> Are XRUNs reported from Jackd? In that case, it is probably
> not FluidSynth's fault. Is jackd and fluidsynth running
> under rtprio?

You are right. XRUNs got in the way, causing jitters/noise.

> > Unison.sf2 seems to give the least noise/jitters for
> me.  It is also the smaller soundfont compare to the
> ones listed below.
>
> Interesting. I've heard that before, that smaller
> soundfonts are less CPU intensive, my only theory is that
> this has to do with the CPU cache, with more samples,
> there'll be more cache misses. This seems a little bit
> far-fetched though (not only for the CPU, ha ha). Would be
> interesting to know if prefetch instructions could improve
> the situation.

It is much more detectable on slower hardware like older PCs or laptops --
combination of slower RAM, CPU, HDD...  often with less RAM, too.

Jimmy