Re: [fluid-dev] Re: lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over th

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: lost connection to Jack server (svn Rev 243, over the weekend)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 04:28:13 +0200

jimmy wrote:

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

First - thanks for helping out with the much needed testing!

I tried again, same midi file at "http://mmacdonald.com/midi/XG/Conquistador 3K
MM.MID".  Note that this is a fairly busy, quick tempo/pace.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned aplaymidi before. Do you play the song via aplaymidi and alsa-seq drivers, or do you supply the midi file to fluidsynth on the command line?

As I type this, I use the mouse to drag the scroll bar in a GUI text editor,
with the midi song playing in the background, I definitely hear the jitters
during the mouse drag.  Not surprising, just mention it here anyway.

Are XRUNs reported from Jackd? In that case, it is probably not FluidSynth's fault. Is jackd and fluidsynth running under rtprio?

Unison.sf2 seems to give the least noise/jitters for me.  It is also the
smaller soundfont compare to the ones listed below.

Interesting. I've heard that before, that smaller soundfonts are less CPU intensive, my only theory is that this has to do with the CPU cache, with more samples, there'll be more cache misses. This seems a little bit far-fetched though (not only for the CPU, ha ha). Would be interesting to know if prefetch instructions could improve the situation.

// David