Re: [fluid-dev] problems with fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a raspberry pi

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] problems with fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a raspberry pi
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:09:46 -0700

Jan:

If the Google search I did on your machine specifications is correct, the processor speed is 700 megahertz, which would make it on the low end of what works with Fluidsynth.  However, with the configuration changes you mentioned, I have successfully used it with a 450 megahertz machine.

There is one other thing I always do - especially for slower machines.

That other step, is to configure the polyphony as 64 (instead of the default 256), or even as low as  48.

That one change dramatically decreases the processor load.

Another thing you can do to reduce processor load, is to turn off the "reverb" and "chorus".

One other thing to be aware of, is that if you have the 1.1.5 version of Fluidsynth, it will run into another problem where some voices cut out, and only sound briefly.  The 1.1.6 version should not have that problem.

I hope these changes work for you.

- Aere