Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 23:10:45 -0600

On 10/28/2014 10:11 PM, R.L. Horn wrote:
AFAIK, you've been able to do that from within MIDI files using MTS since version 1.1.0.

If possible, that's the best way to deal with the issue.  It's more-or-less portable, there's no agreement on what would constitute "perfect" tuning anyway, and, besides, key changes effectively happen all the time without corresponding changes in signature.

What's more, MTS and pitch-bend are the only mechanisms provided by MIDI for dealing with unpredictable things like commas and harmonic sevenths.

Of course, you can set up alternate *temperaments* with configuration files.  I usually use Young's tuning since I have to deal with open thirds quite a bit.
Thank you for the information.  It points me in the right direction.

I still have the challenge of describing algorithmically what I did by-ear way back then.

In your last paragraph, what sort of configuration files were you referring to?  Are they configuring the tuning of FluidSynth?  Or are a way of entering the MIDI MTS bulk data?

--
Sincerely,
Aere