Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning

From: Fede Galland
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 07:48:34 -0300

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:10:45PM -0600, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 10:11 PM, R.L. Horn wrote:
> >AFAIK, you've been able to do that from within MIDI files using
> >MTS since version 1.1.0.
> >
> >If possible, that's the best way to deal with the issue.  It's
> >more-or-less portable, there's no agreement on what would
> >constitute "perfect" tuning anyway, and, besides, key changes
> >effectively happen all the time without corresponding changes in
> >signature.
> >
> >What's more, MTS and pitch-bend are the only mechanisms provided
> >by MIDI for dealing with unpredictable things like commas and
> >harmonic sevenths.
> >
> >Of course, you can set up alternate *temperaments* with
> >configuration files.  I usually use Young's tuning since I have to
> >deal with open thirds quite a bit.
> Thank you for the information.  It points me in the right direction.
>
> I still have the challenge of describing algorithmically what I did
> by-ear way back then.
>
> In your last paragraph, what sort of configuration files were you
> referring to?  Are they configuring the tuning of FluidSynth?  Or
> are a way of entering the MIDI MTS bulk data?

I've recently been asking the same questions.

If you are working with scala http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/
you can export fluidsynth command files, which in turn will be parsed
with the "-f" flag.

Scala can also export 2 byte MTS files, but I don't know how to import
them with fluidsynth. I spent hours trying different things to no avail
(actually got it to work once, idk how, and then not anymore). It
doesn't seem to be that easy, the question has been asked repeatedly
over the internet but no answer is provided.