RE: [pooma-dev] Status of Particles and Parallelism

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] Status of Particles and Parallelism
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:13:03 -0700

Hello,

I've been away on vacation for a while, just now getting back to my e-mail.
I'm a bit puzzled by this.  The whole point of Cheetah was to provide a
uniform parallel interface, so that one could use MPI or a SHMEM-like system
interchangeably without worrying about the exact implementation details of
the parallelism.  So I don't understand how the particles code could work
with Cheetah but not with MPI.

In any case, my recollection is that the PatchSwapLayout code was used to
exchange info between processors sharing a virtual node boundary about how
many particles would be coming or going.  Once this info is exchanged, the
actual particle data can be efficiently exchanged using the Cheetah
messaging protocols.  That's the idea, anyway.  I don't know that I would be
able to help you diagnose specific bugs/problems in the code at this point,
having been away from it for so very long, but feel free to fire questions
at me and I will do what I can to help.

Regards, Julian C.

Dr. Julian C. Cummings
Staff Scientist, CACR/Caltech