Re: [FR-devel] Template code (was: Unit Testing integration)

From: Baptiste Lepilleur
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Template code (was: Unit Testing integration)
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:32:46 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Hibbs" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 1:23 PM
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Unit Testing integration (was: Re: Welcome to
FR-devel)

> [snip]
>
> As you have outlined, the IDE should have support for running unit tests
and
> assist the user in navigating to the source of failures.
>
> But I also think the IDE should also have support for creating unit tests.
> should be able to invoke a command that says I want to add a new unit
test,
> and the IDE should do as much of the work for me as possible -- like
> inserting the require statement (if needed), inserting an empty skeleton
> test method, and so on.

Indeed, but I would put that feature as part of the 'template code'
functionnality: creates new files from template or insert template code in
the source. One the best I have seen is IntelliJ Idea
(http://www.intellij.com/idea/): code template can have parameters, and some
parameters can be deduced from others (generate a variable name from a type,
use class type...). The copy class refactoring (copy a class and rename) is
also quite helpful to create new file. The most amazing thing is that you
can edit the parameter directly in the code! (I don't thing we can do
something like that with Scintilla)

I'm not sure what would be the computed parameter for Ruby though. I can
think of one:

for bookmark in @bookmarks    => I often name iterator as a singular form of
the collection, but I don't know if it's a common idion among Ruby
developper...

Baptiste.