RE: [FR-devel] I'm Back

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] I'm Back
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:35:07 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

>  > Is someone willing to volunteer to write a databus inspector? Let me
>  > know, and I will pass on some ideas and an example of the databus
>  > inspector that I wrote for a Java version of the databus
> (unfortunately,
>  > the Java databus is different enough that the inspector cannot be
> ported).
>  >

> Just to let you know that I'm working on it. I started to develop the
> "Databus Browser" as a FR plugin I quickly realized that I was in a bad
> need for something that would allow me to look at what happens on the
> databus.

This is fantastic, Laurent! Thanks for taking this on.

I've used this databus architecture on three separate non-Ruby projects, and
Rich Kilmer is using it extensively in a Ruby project that is separate from
FreeRIDE, and I can assure you that it is well worth the effort of learning.

[snip]

> I have a quick question regarding the Databus Browser: to become
> familiar with the FreeBASE architecture I decided to implement the
> Databus Browser as a FR plugin. Of course I realized that this has some
> weaknesses associated with it: one of the biggest being that as long as
> the Databus Browser plugin is not started you are in the dark and if
> something goes wrong that you want to debug  then you are stuck.

This makes sense. We can always add a command line option to dump trace info
to the console log if we need to track down a startup problem.

Rich, is there some way we can force Laurent's Databus Browser plugin to
load first?

Curt