Re: [FR-devel] I'm Back

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] I'm Back
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:31:09 +0200

Nishio Mizuho wrote:
Laurent Julliard wrote:

Just to let you know that I'm working on it. I started to develop the "Databus Browser" as a FR plugin I quickly realized that I was in a bad need for soemthing that would allow me to look at what happens on the databus.

So now is the right time for all of you to send me your requirements in terms of what you'd like to see in this databus browser/inspector. I can't promise I'll implement them all to start with but at least it'll give me an idea of where to go over time.

I am not familiar to FR Databus, but I think that pp (pretty printer) works well as the inspector.
See. http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=pp

Thanks for the pointer. The DB Inspector is actually twofold: a tree list to navigate in the hierarchy of slots and then there is a need to display the data (or queues, stack,etc..) attahced to the slot. At that point this Ruby object pretty printer may well be very useful to me.

Once I have a first version of the Databus Browser ready I'll return to the development of the FR Debugger.

Eventually, which way do you adopt as debugger, dRuby or Open3?

Both in fact !!
What I currently have in mind is the following:

- Use dRuby and a modified version of Hiroshi NAKAMURA remote debugger to drive the remote debugger through a proper API and get access to all the process variables, stack, threads,etc...

- And I'll use Open3 (or a conventional pipe may be enough) to catch the output (stdout, stderr) of the debugged process and show it in the FreeRIDE UI.

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox R&T/SSTC/XPA - Open Source team