RE: [FR-devel] Unit Testing

From: Rich Kilmer
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Unit Testing
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:24:03 -0400

Well...we have a similar problem on the Java project I am on right now.
The project uses a multi-agent, distributed system to solve
computationally complex logistics problems.  Each agent supports a
plugin architecture and the question keeps arising on how best to test
these plugins. The plugins are connected to each other through a simple
blackboard with publish/subscribe.

Simple unit tests don't cut it, since they need the support of the
infrastructure to execute, and that infrastructure is fairly complex.
Mock objects are also not possible.

Our approach to solving the problem is a blackboard test harness that
lets you push data on the blackboard, and await responses.

In the same fashion, a test harness (hopefully integrated into
test::unit) would use the FreeBASE databus to "simulate" other plugins
that are needed by the plugin being tested.  I will look at adding this
type of capability into FreeBASE.

Regards,

Rich

Rich
> > Kilmer
> > Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 7:39 AM
> > To: FreeRIDE
> > Subject: [FR-devel] Unit Testing
> >

> > All,
> >
> > Right now we include rubyunit in our "redist" directory.  I was
thinking
> > that it may be better to switch to test::unit instead since this is
the
> > future (and present) ruby testing package (all rubyunit devt is now
> > focused on test::unit).
> >
> > URL of package here:
> >
> > http://testunit.talbott.ws/
> >
> > The reason for this is I am going to embark on unit tests for
FreeBASE