Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:29:15 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

>    Norfolk, England, 29 April 2003 -- AFFS is pleased to confirm details
>    of its first Association For Free Software Annual Conference (AFFSAC),
>    to be held at Aston University in Birmingham on Saturday 17 May 2003.

Any ideas of times yet? When's it start? When does the AGM start, for
those of us that don't have time to do the conference too? (Although I'm
hoping to do both, obviously!)

How much does it cost for non-members?

>    The conference has been welcomed by the developer group, the
>    Association of Free Software Professionals.

I've googled for this but I can't find any details of it ... got a link?

>    The Association for Free Software is a non-profit association with the
>    primary goal of promoting the adoption of FSF free software in the UK,

Erm. I don't want to be picky, but "FSF free software"? Is this like OSI
Open Source? And when did it become "FSF free software" and not "free
software"?

Noticed a couple of hiccups/typos on the web site too (in lintian mode
today!):

On http://www.affs.org.uk/register-affsac.html:

  First para: 'issued an ticket number' should be 'issued a ticket
  number'.

  First bullet: 'have will be issued' should be 'will be issued'.

  Also, not an error, but 'Tickets are conditional on you applying to join
  and paying the membership fee at the start of the meeting' ... wow.
  Seems a bit harsh. What happens if someone wants to pay £10 for the
  conference but _not_ join?

On http://www.affs.org.uk/about.html:

  Can we please change "Freedom 0", "Freedom 1" etc to use normal
  'man on the street' numbering? (ie, start from 1.)

That's all for now ;-)

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden