Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:58:53 +0100

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 11:06:50AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> a) how many members do we have?

Currently around 40.

> b) what's the capacity of the venue or max number of people we want there?

Current capacity is 50, but we should be able to upgrade this to more until
mid of next week, if we believe, we will exceed this number. So we're
currently watching the registrations coming in very careful. As far as I can
see, this stands at 3 (excluding committee members) at the moment...

> c) how many people do we think will join before/on the day?

That's a very good question. If you know _that_ answer, we all would be very
grateful to know. At this stage we don't have the slightest clue. To keep
things predictable, we require prior registration via the web site.
Obviously, we would make every possible effort to get people in turning up
on the day, but we can't guarantee that of course.

So: Everyone who wants to come along (current member or future member),
please help us and register now or at least as early as possible! We have to
decide on the actual room size soon and we have to turn applications down,
if we later exceed that number. We also can't risk to burn a hole into our
finances by hiring a too large room.

> If b is significantly greater than (a+c) then I'd suggest we consider a
> non-member entry fee (at reduced rate, since it's a one-off event and not
> a year-long subscription).

b scales with a+c. That's the main reason for choosing Aston. We currently
pay for 50, but if we need more, we can have that most likely too. :-)))
Obviously subject to making a final decision around mid of next week and
availability of a larger room at that time (which currently is the case and
probably will be until then).

> I suspect I'm wasting my breath and that there will be few (if any)
> wanting to attend that aren't already members, but since the publicity has

I don't know. That's why we're currently trying to stay on the safe side.

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
email: address@hidden, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/