Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:06:50 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Alex Hudson wrote:

> This is probably why we're having this discussion - AFFSAC isn't really
> intended to further that aim in a direct manner. The talks are not aimed
> at getting people to use Free Software, it's more a communication/network
> event. The main goals for this AFFSAC (imho ;) are getting people more
> aware of what stuff is going on, and getting them involved - it's not
> really an outreach thing as such.

Ok, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying here.

You want to get people involved, but it's not an outreach thing? How does
that work?

Given that the conference has been widely publicised (I don't know what
the distribution list for the press release was), then surely you're
trying to get non-members to come along?

Given that the AFFS remit is to publicise free software, wouldn't it make
sense to get as many non-members as possible to come along? (With the
obvious caveat that it's more important that full members come, so room
needs to be left for them first.)

> That's not to say that I disagree that such a thing would be useful, just
> that I think AFFSAC has different concerns, at least this time around.
> Our main problem (as AFFS) is people with enough time. I'm hoping that
> we will be able to get people excited about the things that are happening
> now, and get people involved with things that could happen in the future.

Again, if you need more people with enough time, and the current
membership aren't exactly rushing to the fore, then you need a bigger pool
of members to draw from. Letting non-members in and then convincing them
of the benefits of membership is surely a good way to do this?

> There aren't any strings attached with being a member, the only
> commitment is that which the AFFS gives members, there is no commitment
> in the other direction.

The strings I indicated are the implicit ones of being a card-carrying
member of the AFFS... it's there whether we want it or not.

So:

a) how many members do we have?
b) what's the capacity of the venue or max number of people we want there?
c) how many people do we think will join before/on the day?

If b is significantly greater than (a+c) then I'd suggest we consider a
non-member entry fee (at reduced rate, since it's a one-off event and not
a year-long subscription).

I suspect I'm wasting my breath and that there will be few (if any)
wanting to attend that aren't already members, but since the publicity has
gone out and this is being portrayed in that publicity as an open
conference (not explicitly members-only), we should at least make an
effort to run it as an open conference.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden