Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC details
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 11:09:41 -0000

Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:
> You want to get people involved, but it's not an outreach thing? How does
> that work?

Here's my take, as one of the legworkers at this point.  Hopefully we
won't have conflicting views from Alex and Marc ;-)

This event is targeted at existing free software supporters, not at
converting those who are merely curious into supporters.  The publicity
has gone out widely to try to convert more UK supporters into members.
I think AFFSAC is a big enough thing to pull off already, without diluting
the purpose further.

Our presence at the various fairs, expos, user groups and conferences
are more concerned with getting new supporters.  This is a potentially
useful and interesting thing to give back to the members for their
generous support of this fledgling group during the past year.

We do need more people to get involved.  The five who have served AFFS
exec over the last year have done well to get this thing up and running
given the constraints (but I would say that) but we need more of the
supporters to become activists in order to take us further.  That implies
opening it to non-members who will become members.

Not all of the AFFS activities try to achieve all of the AFFS goals at the
same time.  If we did that, we would likely be paralysed.

> a) how many members do we have?

I think I issued membership number 65 last, but there are a couple of
gaps now (we've been running over a year).

> b) what's the capacity of the venue or max number of people we want there?

Capacity is 50, but we can expand before 7 May if needed, I believe.

> c) how many people do we think will join before/on the day?

Your guess etc.

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: address@hidden
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.