gforge-devel

[Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL

From: Ryan T. Sammartino
Subject: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:48:22 -0800

I see a new "lgpl" directory has been checked in, and I think I know
where that is going, and I think it's a pretty good idea.  Here is some
random ideas:

I've spent a fair bit of today looking at the code for phpgroupware, and
I think they have a lot of good ideas that we should look to borrowing
for a 4.0 release.  They seem to have a pretty clean architecture that
easily allows people to hook in and create new applications (calendar,
address book, etc).

I think we could learn something from that, as well as solve the issues
surrounding proprietary addons:

A clean well architected LGPLed core with a well documented API would
allow anyone to write addons under the license of their choosing.
"Core" gforge would know about projects and now much else.  Everything
else (trackers, document managers, whatever) would talk through the API
to hook in at the appropriate places, like phpgroupware applications
do.

I also think we can learn something from phpgroupware's setup...
basically, the first time you connect, there is a web-based setup
routine that sets up the database, configures the connection, creates
the equivalent of "local.inc", etc.  Pretty slick.  The only thing I had
to do at the command-line was "createdb phpgroupware" and "createuser
phpgroupware".

Anyways, just some random thoughts while I recover from the flu and a
badly bruised ankle.  Hint:  never turn your skates to the outside while
attempting to block a shot.

--
Ryan T. Sammartino
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/