gforge-devel

Re: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL

From: Ryan T. Sammartino
Subject: Re: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:59:10 -0800

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:30:36PM +0100, Christian BAYLE wrote:
> Ryan T. Sammartino a écrit:
>
> Roland's plugin allows also to easily hook in, do you have some idea on
> how different are
> phpgroupware concepts?

Concepts are pretty much the same.  Some critical differences that in no
way reflect poorly on Roland's work:

- phpgroupware was designed from the ground up with this sort of
  architecture in mind.  I hate to second-guess after the fact, but I
  don't think SourceForge/Savannah/GForge was.
- their system is already proven:  I see how new modules hook in and it
  all works.  I haven't seen a GForge plugin using Roland's work yet.
- their system is much more complete, featuring things like module
  dependencies.

> My idea of the use of add-on is modularity allowing e.g. to choose one
> tracker or an other

Aye.

> I think this is a bad choice to bet on proprietary add-ons though I
> don't deny anybody the
> right or the freedom to do it.

I'm not betting on it.

> -My reason are:
>    You can't correct bug.
>    You can't translate
>    You can't benefit of the experience of the programmed code
>    You can't enhance/modify code to fit your needs

We're all familiar with why proprietary is inferior to free/open.   That
isn't the real issue.  The real issue is our target audience and
acceptance:  our target audience is going to be small to medium (to
large?) mostly proprietary software houses that work on many projects
and want to coordinate activity.

> Adding to this it may conflict with GPL, and finnaly be a licence nightmare.

Which is why the core API would be LGPLed, mitigating those nightmares.

--
Ryan T. Sammartino
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/