gforge-devel

Re: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:15:10 -0600

Ryan T. Sammartino wrote:
However, and even RMS himself has said this, there some applications
where it makes sense to allow proprietary hooks.  That's why there is an
LGPL in the first place.  He also blessed Ogg Vorbis moving from LGPL to
BSD-style so that they could widen their industry influence.  So cleary
there is some lattitude in RMS' thinking, even if it hasn't filtered
down to the followers yet.  I think GForge is an ideal candidate for
LGPL-ing (to coin a verb): there will always be a libre core and a fair
amount of libre applications (to use the phpgroupware term), but I don't see any reason why people (especially the man behind the vast majority of
the code) couldn't write proprietary addons for the sake of wider
acceptance.

I tend to think open source is best, however I have never understood the "free speech" obsession. There's no "free" hardware or "free" electricity or free internet to run it on, so it seems rather moot to me.

OSI is a different, and pragmatic approach from FSF, where you can make software a standard by sharing it, and get others to enhance or patch it. But in reality I know that *most* of the code is written by the inner core of developers, and everyone else is pretty much getting the benefit of their work. If it's rewarding to the core developers in some way, it is sustainable, and if not, it's will be deadwood like most of the 50,000+ projects on sf.net.

I'm actually thinking of a total rewrite from scratch for a 4.0 release.
Seriously.

I don't know if I have another rewrite in me, honestly.

Tim