gforge-devel

Re: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Gforge-devel] Architecture, LGPL
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:18:11 -0600

Ryan T. Sammartino wrote:
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:15:10AM -0600, Tim Perdue wrote:

I tend to think open source is best, however I have never understood the

<snip>

I really don't see the connection between what I said and what you said.

Just telling you my OSS philosophy, as you had done.

I'm actually thinking of a total rewrite from scratch for a 4.0 release.
Seriously.

I don't know if I have another rewrite in me, honestly.

Everyone *says* that... :)

In order to effect a true rewrite that you could LGPL, you will also have to answer the question of the database *schema* as a whole. ie, is the db schema GPLd and what happens when you hook up LGPL code to it? If you write a few queries that extract from that schema, you are probably OK, but if your whole system is based on top of that schema, you could run into some problems.

Other than that, I'm sure there are some tools somewhere that would make a rewrite of the bottom-end very quick. There are surely some "data access object" builders for PHP, as there are for java.

Tim