gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:03:39 +0000

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:31:46PM -0800, Dan Kuykendall wrote:

> Yes, the problem is simple. But maybe the answer is not. This goes to
> the derived vs re-written issue, which is cloudy.

My understanding is that even if you rewrite most of the code but you still
keep a small part of the original GPL code, then it continues to be a derived
work, under the GPL. Of course, at some point this becomes a moral issue and
it is up to the author to declare whether he has started a new project or just
modified an existing one.

> This is very abrupt and aggressive.
Please keep in mind that we all come from very different cultures/generations
and speak different languages; we make a big effort to communicate in a common
language, but we are always prone to sound rude or aggressive. We should look
at a whole thread, rather than to a single sentence to decide whether there is
an aggression or not.

Cheers,
Jaime