gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 03:59:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Perdue <address@hidden> wrote:
> James, you are not involved in the GForge project and have not
> committed
> even one line of code to the project, as far as I know.

I have been invited into the project, and made a member. The first
thing that I did was review the source code and found these problems.

This is not a company, you are not the boss. I respect your decision,
but you really have to read the gpl. As a receipient of code from you
that may be in violation of the gpl, i have the moral responsibility to
point this out.

>You are not
> "in
> the loop", nor do you have any reason to be.

You wish! In what dreamland are you living in?

I am in the loop big time!

It seems to me that you still have not understood how the GPL works :
As soon as you release source code to the public, we become receipients
of that, and are bound to it when we redistribute it or create derived
works.

Savannah is therefore  responsible to remove any license violations
instead of redistributing them.

Dont make them do that.

Maybe you need some help here :
I offer to you to review every single commit of yours for possible
license violations. Would that help?

> This is exactly what was done. I have not placed my code in CVS, nor
> shown it to anyone. I have not even had time to debug it because I am
> busy on other things. I have merely placed a screenshot of it online
> and
> get attacked by you and a couple other people.

Noone is attacking you. You are getting personal, I have nothing
against you at all. I have lots of respect for what you have done and
intend on creating a derived work from it. In order for me to do so,
I need to make sure that the code is under the GPL, and that you have
no possible license violations.

That is my responsibilty as a free software developer.

Otherwise, I run the risk of violating the GPL by making a derived work
of a program that is already in violation.

I pointed out the mixing of licensing is a problem, it still is not
resolved :
please fix it :

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gforge/gforge/lgpl/lgplpre.php?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup`

1.    - no copyright holder information
2.    - first sentence that leads to think it's possible to link
         non-free to gforge, which is wrong until a line of GPLd
         code remains in gforge

<?php /** * lgplpre.php - allows non-free software to be linked
 safely to GForge * * This file is part of GForge.  * * GForge is
 free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the
 terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by *
 the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or *
(at
 your option) any later version.  * * GForge is distributed in the
 hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without
 even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
 PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the * GNU Lesser General Public License
 for more details.  * * You should have received a copy of the GNU
 Lesser General Public License * along with GForge; if not, write to
the
 Free Software * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330,
 oston, MA 02111-1307 US */

> Today I have pulled it all down and have no intention of releasing it
> under GPL. I've thought about deleting it and saying "piss on it".

What are you talking about, your code? As I said, I fully support the
creating of Ransom code, and if you have the money to do the research
into the GPL question, please do so.

I am not a lawer, and I can only suggest that you stick to one license.
Dont mix them. If you want a new license, talk to a laywer. If you want
to make a LGPLEd project, start one.

Please to do not add LGPLed code to gforge.

If you have a solution to the issue of the GPL and the usage of the
database tables, please let me know, I am very interested in this.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/