gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:21:44 -0600

James, you are not involved in the GForge project and have not committed even one line of code to the project, as far as I know. You are not "in the loop", nor do you have any reason to be.

Approx 80% of GForge is rewritten code - a very large piece of that is by me, working on my own time and my own initiative. I am not being paid by a corporation for my work. I am paying for the hosting of GForge.org off of profits from my other consulting gigs (Perdue, Inc.).

Just to clarify for you - GForge is NOT in any way associated with FSF, although they are welcome to take all my code and use it however they wish, as I have been nice enough to license it under GPL.

>If you want to do this right, setup a new project, put it under the
>Ransom license, and dont allow access to the sourcecode to people who
>dont aggree to it. As soon as a user sees the ransomed source, they are
>in a moral dillemma. Do they say : oh that is silly, I can do that! and
>if they do, they have seen your code. Or do they say, oh wow, I need
>that. Or do they say, WTF?! why is this code with a different license
>in a GPLEd repository.

This is exactly what was done. I have not placed my code in CVS, nor shown it to anyone. I have not even had time to debug it because I am busy on other things. I have merely placed a screenshot of it online and get attacked by you and a couple other people.

Today I have pulled it all down and have no intention of releasing it under GPL. I've thought about deleting it and saying "piss on it".

Tim