gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:22:04 +0100 (CET)

Please avoid getting personal here tim. How many times do I have to
tell you that I respect you, and what you are trying to do. I like
gforge and want to use your work.

You should be man enough to accept a bit of criticism, and also man
enough to admit that you made a mistake. Your customers and helpers
will be happy that this error was caught before it got too far.

This is nothing personal here at all, so stop taking it that way.

 --- Tim Perdue <address@hidden> schrieb: > James Michael DuPont wrote:

> > The subset that he shows is the session, the database connection
> and
> > the  database structure via the connection. All of these are
> created by
> > GPLed code and stored in memory.
>
> According to you, typing "psql gforge" at the command line is a GPL
> violation. That's absurd.

I am saying that the queries that embed and mimic the database
structure are derived works.

> The database is not GPL.

The entire program is gpl. Every bit of it.

> If fanatics are
> trying to claim that all corporate data is now GPL,

Data? The data is not GPL.
The structure of the data is.

> then all
> companies
> should immediately abandon this poison license and stay as far away
> as
> possible.
Yeah your right. Why did sourceforge put it under the GPL to begin
with? I dont know.

Why dont you do the logical thing, and ask the copyright owners to
re-license the database under the lgpl?

> Under your fanatic interpretation, the SOAP server is also useless to
> us, and everything that sends/receives SOAP must also be released
> under GPL.

Yes. Basically.

> Clearly this poison license is a problem for future versions. We
> can't have companies being attacked by fanatics.

None is attacking companies. I am criticizing your actions where you
were clearly out of line, and showing you where you could possibly be
out of line. Why dont you read the GPL first before trying to evade it.

Talk to the copyright owners, ask them for permission to relicense the
parts you like.

> They need to be able to
> use
> GForge in confidence.

they can use it all they want.
You cannot distribute non-free derived works under a different license,
that must be a great thing for them, to be able to see what they are
buying.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont