gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:47:54 +0100 (CET)

 --- Julien Goodwin <address@hidden> schrieb: > On Thu,
Feb 13, 2003 at 03:59:52AM -0800, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> > --- Tim Perdue <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > James, you are not involved in the GForge project and have not
> > > committed
> > > even one line of code to the project, as far as I know.
> >
> > I have been invited into the project, and made a member. The first
> > thing that I did was review the source code and found these
> problems.
> >
> > This is not a company, you are not the boss. I respect your
> decision,
> > but you really have to read the gpl. As a receipient of code from
> you
> > that may be in violation of the gpl, i have the moral
> responsibility to
> > point this out.

> It's the AFAIK bit thats important, if the project leads don't kno
> you
> then why should they care.

He is project lead on this branch. But other people who are co-authors
do care. And I care because I am evaluating the source code if it is
GPL compliant before I make a derived work from it. This is my
responsability.

> > > This is exactly what was done. I have not placed my code in CVS,
> nor
> > > shown it to anyone. I have not even had time to debug it because
> I am
> > > busy on other things. I have merely placed a screenshot of it
> online
> > > and
> > > get attacked by you and a couple other people.
> >
> > Noone is attacking you. You are getting personal, I have nothing
> > against you at all. I have lots of respect for what you have done
> and
> > intend on creating a derived work from it. In order for me to do
> so,
> > I need to make sure that the code is under the GPL, and that you
> have
> > no possible license violations.

> It seemed to me to be an attack.

I dont see that at all.

> > 1.    - no copyright holder information
> > 2.    - first sentence that leads to think it's possible to link
> >          non-free to gforge, which is wrong until a line of GPLd
> >          code remains in gforge

> NO, if that were true than all C based GPL programs that ran on
> windows
> would be in violation.
Why is that?

> From what I can tell he is making a module
> that GFORGE links against
He was trying to declare a LGPL module of a GPLed project as still
being LGPLed when distributed in whole and connected to the GPLed code.
This is a problem.

> (Even though it doesn't in reality, but we still use c convetions) to
> prvide extra functionality. If he made a non-free wrapper that showed
> subset of the gforge functionality though it then he would be in
> violation.

The subset that he shows is the session, the database connection and
the  database structure via the connection. All of these are created by
GPLed code and stored in memory.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont