gforge-devel

RE: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: RE: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:26:57 +0100 (CET)

 --- Tom Copeland <address@hidden> schrieb: > Sayeth James:

> > Data? The data is not GPL.
> > The structure of the data is.
> >

> Hm.  Suppose I write a SQL statement like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE "users" (
>         "user_id" integer DEFAULT nextval('users_pk_seq'::text) NOT
> NULL,
>         "user_name" text DEFAULT '' NOT NULL
> );
>
> Am I violating the GPL?  GForge has a very similar bit of SQL code...
> so
> is that SQL code now locked into GPL-ishness?

You tell me, That depends on the context.

Did you copy it to the letter? Did you distribute it under a different
license?

I would say, for the case of gforge, I consider the application a
monolith.
For my interpretations, sql tables a structs of a c program, queries as
functions that use them. The tables are not published, but internal.

They were not meant to be used under a different license. This is not a
problem of the GPL, but a problem of sourceforge. Talk to them.

The gpl says, if you want to use the code under a different license,
then ask the copyright holders.

What license to you put this snippet under? How is it distributed,
under what license do you distribute it?  What connection does it have
to the gforge application? Is in under the GPL and only indended for
GPled code to access? Is is a published standard that you are telling
people they can use?

I am not a laywer, and cannot give you legal advice.

Obviously you dont believe me, but this is turning into a mantra.

My project, the introspector does similar things to the GCC, it uses
XML/SQL/RDF/Perl and other languages to post process the ASTS of the
gcc.
             I would like to see this issue be resolved!!!!

I am personally very interested to see this go to court, so if you have
the cash to spend, go right ahead.

Otherwise, just write to the copyright holders, ask them, not me.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/