gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: Julien Goodwin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:48:32 +1100

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:59:52AM -0800, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> --- Tim Perdue <address@hidden> wrote:
> > James, you are not involved in the GForge project and have not
> > committed
> > even one line of code to the project, as far as I know.
>
> I have been invited into the project, and made a member. The first
> thing that I did was review the source code and found these problems.
>
> This is not a company, you are not the boss. I respect your decision,
> but you really have to read the gpl. As a receipient of code from you
> that may be in violation of the gpl, i have the moral responsibility to
> point this out.
It's the AFAIK bit thats important, if the project leads don't kno you
then why should they care.

> > This is exactly what was done. I have not placed my code in CVS, nor
> > shown it to anyone. I have not even had time to debug it because I am
> > busy on other things. I have merely placed a screenshot of it online
> > and
> > get attacked by you and a couple other people.
>
> Noone is attacking you. You are getting personal, I have nothing
> against you at all. I have lots of respect for what you have done and
> intend on creating a derived work from it. In order for me to do so,
> I need to make sure that the code is under the GPL, and that you have
> no possible license violations.
It seemed to me to be an attack.

> 1.    - no copyright holder information
> 2.    - first sentence that leads to think it's possible to link
>          non-free to gforge, which is wrong until a line of GPLd
>          code remains in gforge
NO, if that were true than all C based GPL programs that ran on windows
would be in violation. From what I can tell he is making a module that GFORGE
links against
(Even though it doesn't in reality, but we still use c convetions) to
prvide extra functionality. If he made a non-free wrapper that showed a
subset of the gforge functionality though it then he would be in
violation.