gforge-devel

Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Gforge-devel] gforge
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:47:04 -0600

James Michael DuPont wrote:
Please avoid getting personal here tim. How many times do I have to
tell you that I respect you, and what you are trying to do. I like
gforge and want to use your work.

I'm no more personal than you are. Your first message to me told me to
get a lawyer and that you were talking to debian-legal. This was not a private inquiry asking for clarification, it was a public attack.

Under your fanatic interpretation, the SOAP server is also useless to
us, and everything that sends/receives SOAP must also be released
under GPL.

Yes. Basically.

I think you need to take a look at "fair use" rights. I think
anyone can access the GForge database using whatever they wish. Using
the *entire schema* may be a problem, but not portions and certainly not
the data. "Fair Use" is a fundamental right, upheld by over 200 years of court precendent, and the GPL, whatever its text or interpretation, cannot be above the US Constitution.

Further, according to the FSF
( http://www.fsf.org/licenses/why-assign.html ) "If there are multiple authors of a copyrighted work, successful enforcement depends on having the cooperation of all authors" and I am certainly not going to enforce such a hardline position on this issue. If this text from FSF is correct, then it is unlikely the GPL is of any protection to the work we've done on GForge.

I am going to agree with Ryan on this - for version 4 this is going to have to be looked at carefully and figure out a path forward. It also appears that we must have one copyright holder (FSF?)

My vision for the future of GForge depends on it being accessible to everything on a network, very much like an LDAP server. This poison pill stuff looks like a problem.

Tim