Re: [glob2-devel] Gradients (again)

From: Eli
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Gradients (again)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:39:42 -0400

On Sep 14, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Andrew Sayers wrote:

A more radical solution has just occurred to me, which I think I rather
like. What is the gameplay advantage of water? Certainly it makes life
more interesting when it takes a long time to get to your opponent, but
I think the complexity of building a swimming pool, upgrading it,
repairing it, running globs through it and so on is not worth the
hassle in practice.

How about we fix the speed globs swim at half the speed they walk? Then
we could make the gradient for moving across land squares 2 and water
squares 1.  Since we'd have half as many grids of elevations to deal
with, we could make each elevation a 16 bit value instead of an 8 bit
one without using any more memory.  That would mean globs could find
peaks up to about 65,536 squares away across the water or 32,768 squares across land. In principle, this means it could take longer to calculate each grid, but maps 256x256 and smaller would only notice in rare cases,
and it wouldn't be that hard to split the workload over two or more
ticks (which would cause the occasional hiccup, but nothing hugely
serious).  This is a big change, but would be easier to implement, and
goes right along with what I'm working on in the map rewrite at the
minute, so now's the time to decide.

What is the gameplay advantage of water, eh? It currently comprises the only differentiation in terrain type from plain grass, besides sand, which by your suggestion would be almost the same as water (just mildly less obstructive.) It seems like it would be allow more complex map-making to differentiate them *more* --- make water always impassable or at least prohibitively slowing.

Or, to really allow for map-making diversity, split water into impassable "Deep water" and half-speed "Shallow water". Furthermore, it would hardly be taxing to simply allow one level of swimming, which would allow globs to also move at 1/2 speed in deep water, which would be where algae grew on maps on which schools should be harder to build.

It would also be fun to allow globs to build boats a la Bolo, to go at full speed in shallow and deep water, but that is silly. :)