Re: [glob2-devel] Gradients (again)

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Gradients (again)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:56:19 +0200

You are right, memory is a problem... I'll think to another solution...

We can imagine to have four gradient, using your (0/1/2) rule:
- ground only
- water only
- prefer ground
- prefer water

Units could be tagged which one to use. As gradients are only allocated when
used, even if for now we only use ground only and prefered ground, that leave
space for futur work. I'm not sure if splitting grass and sand is usefull for
displacement speed, as it is already used for building/non building area. But
perhaps the user could create road (a long term user wish) that are used over
ground for ground and prefer ground options.

Problem is with food: the more granularity you put on gradient the less
efficient the inn become, because units have to go sooner to eat to
compensate for the potential faster (in time) but longer (in space/food)
path.