Re: [glob2-devel] speedup possible on resource gradients

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] speedup possible on resource gradients
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:11:54 +0000

I've been trying to analyse speeds, and have run into a few bugs:

* The island map generator creates a huge patch of stone for every team.
  It would be better if only a single piece was created.  I can upload a
  hackish patch for that, unless you want to spend the time doing it
  neatly.

* I can't find any way to end a game running with "--nox" cleanly.  This
  means that log files don't get written.  Ideally, I'd like it to catch
  a "KILL" or "HUP" signal, or to respond to "quit" typed on the
  command-line, and end the game cleanly.  Is this something that would
  be easy to do?

* Adding an SGSL script in the editor causes the game to crash when the
  script is saved, or the editor exits.

I've been learning to use the profiling tool "gprof" - early tests
suggest that over 90% of execution time is spent in
updateRessourcesGradient() and updateGradientLine(), so optimising these
functions is pretty much the only thing that matters in terms of game
speed.

        - Andrew