Re: [glob2-devel] Add more language support #16391

From: Dave Vasilevsky
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Add more language support #16391
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:15:04 -0400

On 1/4/07, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
Having different subsystems for different plateforms does not sound very
maintainable to me. There is a big risk some linux guy updates something that
breaks OS X subsystem, while OS X maintainer is away. I'm afraid that in the
long run this will just make ports more difficult.

Yeah, that's understood. If we go this path, I'd want to establish a
pretty small API for text-drawing-systems. The only operations we seem
to need are:

- Init/cleanup the font system
- Load a font
- Draw styled text as a DrawableSurface

We could then have each implementation in separate files, lessening
the chances of accidental breakage.

Before doing anything though, we should probably talk to the SDL_Pango
maintainers and find out what they think! I'm sure they have ideas for
the best way to get text working on multiple OSes.

Dave