Re: [glob2-devel] The next release

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] The next release
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:27:42 +0100

> I feel that we should release now.

I feel that right now a lot of development takes place and this is the
worst time for a feature freeze.  If you must, make a release candidate
branch.  But I think Leo is fine tuning his changes, so it is not the time
to freeze anything.

> For now, we should stick with the Alpha naming system, atleast for
> this release. While I think the Alpha system is simple enough (since
> we reference the versions by their Alpha, not 0.8.21 or 0.8.15), it
> seems people want a simple version numbering system. Perhaps we can
> remove the 8, and do it just 0.21, 0.22, 0.23, etc... The first is our
> major, currently we haven't had a major, and the second is our minor.
> I still don't understand the 8. Seems rather pointless to me.

I don't understand the 8 either.
The version number scheme Steph proposed looks better.
And since we don't develope so fast that we get to glob2-100 in the next
years (or ever), it would be perfect for glob2.  Especially since we
have a major number (2) already in our name.
If this version numbering does not fit our project, than it doesn't
fit any other project.  It looks like it is made for us.

> I'm not sure who is the release manager anymore. If I'm still it and
> everyone is comfortable with releasing now, then I'll go ahead and do
> it.

Stop!  No! First at least let Leo improve his work.
Then let us test one or two weeks before releasing.
This is obligatory!