Re: [glob2-devel] New Net Code Is Priority

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New Net Code Is Priority
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 02:19:25 +0100

> I have been using Mercurial for everything for the past six months or so, and
> I really like it.  I chose it over the others because it seemed somewhat
> better documented (there is a pretty good and mostly complete book on using
> it at http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/hgbook.pdf) and it's really fast.

Ok.  There are at least two of us, that know mercurial well and like it.
This's is a lot for glob2.
So let us switch to mercurial.

I'd like everyone to install mercurial this week.
The wiki official:
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/

Take a look at the Quickstart:
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/QuickStart

Who can set up a central repository?
Does Savannah support mercurial?
probably not by now: http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?105710

For a central repository: (Snippets from the README)
 # make your current repo available via http://server:8000/
 foo$ hg serve
 # make your current repo available via http://server/
 foo$ hg serve -p 80
or:
 # Set up a CGI server on your webserver
 foo$ cp hgweb.cgi ~/public_html/hg/index.cgi

and:
 # pushing and pulling changes to/from a remote repo with SSH
  foo$ hg push ssh://address@hidden/my/repository

I'm right now trying to import the glob2 cvs repository.
I'm going cvs->git->mercurial, because that way I don't need to
install additional software.  There are programs that import
directly into mercurial.
In fact, if we want/need to change between any modern systems (later), we can
do this with taylor:
http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

But I don't know if we really want to import our old cvs history.
This might slow down the initial checkouts drastically.