Re: [glob2-devel] Well, nearly time for Alpha 23??

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Well, nearly time for Alpha 23??
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:27:20 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 16 April 2007 07:51:44 Kieran P wrote:
>> With the fixing of several bugs thanks to Bradley, and the updated (that is
>> CVS at the time of this email with repair bug fixed and several others, not
>> the buggy alpha22 tarball) Windows EXE/Zip and Mandriva RPM/SRPMS files
>> uploaded and linked to from the wiki, in about a day or two, after more
>> bugs by windows users are reported, and fixed, I'll tag HEAD with
>> alpha23-rc, and then following that, 2 days wait (for any final fixes)
>> before I release source, windows and Mandriva packages again :D
>>
>> Then its basically waiting for Bradley to complete the engine core stuff,
>> which could take months. Therefore alpha23 will be the last release till
>> then (unless a major bug pop up).
>>
>> Everyone in agreement so this can go ahead as planed?
>
> Yes, that's very good.  ...

These bugs represent regressions from 0.8.21:

 #19601         gigantic memory usage increase to load maps in 0.8.22
 #19557         clearing flag broken in 22
 #19592         bugs in individual globule AI in 0.8.22

Bug #19601 makes it difficult to play on big maps anymore and slows
down play on all maps.

Bug #19557 means the player must waste their time constantly remaking
clearing flags.

Bug #19592 describes a bunch of problems with globule movement and
work assignments.  Some of these problems are definitely new in
0.8.22.  One of the problems involves warriors for no reason getting
“stuck”, spinning in place, and starving to death.  This means every
attack with a war flag loses a certain percentage of the warriors for
no reason whatsoever.

In addition, there are these long-standing but easily fixable bugs:

 #19602         using “+” to adjust requested workers fails on many keyboards
 #19600         need to be able to disable use of scrollwheel

Both bug #19602 and bug #19600 should have easy fixes.  (The easy fix
for 19602 is also wrong in some sense, but much better than simply
doing nothing.)

I think all of these bugs should be at least partially addressed
(although fixing all of the problems in bug #19592 is likely not
reasonable).

--
Joe