Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: donkyhotay
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:16:17 -0700

Man, I don't check my Email for one day and I miss out on a ton of
discussion. Even though it's been pretty much beaten to death all around
I do want to say that I agree completely with losing backwards
compatibility on bradley's rewrite. Although I never got it working for
multiplayer I was unable to save custom prestige for single player games
without breaking backwards compatibility and finally just didn't worry
about it. It would be nice to have a script or something that will
update all the old maps but ultimately I think better working code is
MUCH more important (maps are easy to make). In regards to the tilesets
I personally dont' think it matters. As a long time player that is used
to it I agree with steph that the globs' world should be somewhat unreal
or dreamlike. On the other hand I remember teaching a friend of mine to
play glob2 and he was confused at first because the trees didn't look
like trees and the wheat didn't look like wheat. For beginners it would
be nice to have something that is obviously a tree and obviously wheat.
Rather then making them one or the other I would recommend an attempt at
blending recognition with unreality (if we can). On a similar line, my
friend was also confused at the difference between warriors and workers.
Sure it's easy to say the warriors are the bigger ones and after a
couple games you can tell them apart at a glance but they look so
similar it took him awhile to notice the difference easily. Because of
this if we ARE going to change the tilesets I would recommend changing
the way the warriors look a little bit, maybe give them differently
shaped arms or something. As for the switch to mercurial or not I
personally don't care one way or the other. Obviously let everyone know
when the switch is done and update the instructions on the wiki.