[glob2-devel] About maps backward compatibility

From: Cyrille Dunant
Subject: [glob2-devel] About maps backward compatibility
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:18:56 +0200

Maps are long to make.

Good maps are rare, and we already have few. It is completely silly to
eliminate backward compatibility for the sake of it.

It destroys hours of work of many people that did the maps.

It forces us to get a new set of maps

It serves no purpose as basically you can perfectly have a new and old map
format: you only need a filter.

It introduces new bugs where there weren't (make no mistake, all code is
buggy, and there is no reason a rewrite will be less buggy than the original)

So unless there is a compelling reason to redo any subsystem at all (this is
especially true for the maps), I think it is a bad idea in general: if it
ain't broke, don't fix it!

Now there _are_ problems, for instance, network play needs to be flawless, and
if that takes a rewrite, so be it! But it serves absolutely no purpose
whatsoever to break backward compatibility for no purposes other than to
essentially destroy valuable work.

Because make no mistake: having good maps (or having maps at all) is _way_
more important than saving five minutes by not implementing a filter.

 -- CFD

PS, in general, rewriting for the sake of it is not a good idea, unless you
found some basic architectural flaw.

PPS and from a development perspective, rewrites of subsystem should be done
in separate branches and merged when well-tested and feature-complete.