Re: [glob2-devel] Finalized Design Idea for YOG

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Finalized Design Idea for YOG
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:38:33 +0200

On Saturday 28 April 2007, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> Take care about the bandwith of yog routing. glob2 may be bandwidth
> effective, but things like voip are not (and removing them would not be a
> solution). Let imagine we are running a game with 8 players at 2 kBps per
> player. We have:
> 2*8*3600 = 57.6 MB per hour
> 57.6*24*30 = 40 GB per mounth
> Even with Terabyte bandwidth we can only hope to host 25 games before
> consuming all the bandwidth. I don't see who would agree to host this (I
> would not).

The values are even worst as you practically can't do multicast in tcp so the
bandwidth scales at square with the number of player in a game.

I imagine someone will tell "no problem, there is never more than 4 players on
yog anyway...". That's the wrong reasoning. If possible, we should
fix/improve the technologies we have and know and not reimplement something
inferior in design as a quick fix.

In this particular case it may be that udp hole punching does not really works
and the problems we have will be there forever ; in this case changing the
system is worth considering, but pushing a finalized new design, inferior in
feature set, in breakage with all previous discussions and without
explanation why we need this instead of what we have now is far from the best
way to proceed.