Re: [glob2-devel] Net Engine Update!

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Net Engine Update!
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:33:22 +0200

Hi Bradley

> The new net engine is feature complete. There

Congratulations!

> master? I have kept my branch up-to-date with the master so it should be
> fairly simple. In terms of the ramifications of the changes, heres the
> list:

Great you kept up with the master.

> 1) Old maps and game saves are no longer compatible. There is copy and
> paste
> functionality that will make re-making maps very quick, but it still has
> be done

Is this like "map editor loads old maps like new ones"? So I can load the map
and save it again to copy/paste? Or how exactly is it done?

> 2) Old networking is no longer compatible. We can make a new server to run
> side by side with the existing one to cater to our tests

If you get server separated from client so it doesn't need X to compile I
volunteer to host a server on my vps.

Also I remember talks about routing automatisms. I know they are not in place
yet but what's your state on that? Will it be possible to arbitrarily spawn
these servers so they register with the master yog server and do routing for
random games? I guess as server hardware is a thing many people want to help
out with, we should make this possible.

Greetings, Leo