cause of arrow key problem is libsdl bug (was: [glob2-devel] another bug

From: Joe Wells
Subject: cause of arrow key problem is libsdl bug (was: [glob2-devel] another bug)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:59:35 +0100

"Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden> writes:

> I can scroll using the arrow keys just fine, and interestingly the Ctrl-arrow
> keys does larger jumps. I can't reproduce this bug.

The bug is that libsdl sometimes (unfortunately too often) loses track
of which modifier keys are pressed.  In my patch (which I think Leo
committed to main), I added code to _stop_ the arrow keys from doing
anything when additional modifiers (like Alt, etc.) are pressed.  This
change was to avoid bad accidents I experienced due to modifiers being
pressed while trying to type key combinations used by my window
manager.  For example, before this change, every time I would use my
window manager's “Control-Alt-ArrowKey” combination to switch into the
virtual desktop glob2 was running in, glob2 would end up getting
scrolled internally.

The bug is clearly in libsdl, but perhaps until the libsdl bug is
fixed the code should be changed to allow the arrow keys to work even
if additional modifiers are pressed.  With my patch (which I think is
in main), if libsdl gets confused about what modifiers are pressed,
this can cripple the arrow keys until glob2 is restarted.

--
Joe