[glob2-devel] zip format (was: New Net Engine, New Map Headers, ready to

From: Joe Wells
Subject: [glob2-devel] zip format (was: New Net Engine, New Map Headers, ready to merge)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:48:09 +0100

"Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden> writes:

> I decided not to do zipped maps just yet, as they aren't really needed now. I
> came to the realization that a gz file doesn't hold multiple files, its just a
> compression of one. I would have  to add another layer ontop of the gzip code
> we already use, (like libtar, for example) thats another dependancy, a whole
> new part of the system ....... more work than its worth right now.

I'm confused.  I thought the plan was to use zip format, not gzip
format.  zip format allows any number of subfiles, and they can be
grouped in directories and subdirectories within the zip file.

> A another break in the format won't be as signifigant, codewise, since the
> format is the same, its just now in a gz file.

Since we're going to have to change to zip files from gzip files, it
would be good to do this change now at the same time as all the other
changes.

--
Joe