darkness of fog of war and how to change it correctly (was: [glob2-devel

From: Joe Wells
Subject: darkness of fog of war and how to change it correctly (was: [glob2-devel] All custom maps (so minus campaigns and tutorial) complete)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:06:17 +0100

"Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Here I've a bug with fog of war drawing using OpenGL mode. Does anyone
>
>     > experience the same problem ?
>
>     Fog of war looks wrong here too.  With or without opengl - doesn't matter.
>     I remember that someone changed something about fog of war and didn't put
>     all the necessary changes into the repository (or was it the gfx data?).
>     Anyone who pulls a new repository and new data should have wrong fog of
>     war.
>
> This bug is fixed. I tracked it down to Joes changes a while ago, where the
> fog
> of war was taken from half alpha to only 16% alpha, these has been reverted.

The problem is that you had to update the images used for the border
of the fog of war as well!  I supplied the changed images, but
apparently Leo did not install them at the same time he applied my
patch.

I really think the fog of war using 50% opacity was _way_ too dark.  I
liked 16% opacity.  I think it is worth trying a range of opacities to
find a level of darkness that other people are also comfortable with.
The change involves changing an opacity in the C++ code and also the
images used for the border of the fog of war.  I wrote a script to
make the needed images from the old alpha23 images and sent it to the
mailing list.  I can run the script for any desired opacity for anyone
who can't get the script to run for them on their machine.

--
Joe