Re: [glob2-devel] Version 3 of GPL license issued yesterday

From: Cyrille Dunant
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Version 3 of GPL license issued yesterday
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:55:14 +0200

> > You might want to check on the GNU's project site, then :)
>
> I can't find anything on upgrading (or not being able to upgrade) the
> "or any later version" clause. Do you have any pointers?

Quoth the FSF:

Q: “Why should programs say "Version 2 of the GPL or any later version"?”

A: [...]

 Suppose a program says "Version 2 of the GPL or any later version" and a new
version of the GPL is released. If the new GPL version gives additional
permission, that permission will be available immediately to all the users of
the program. But if the new GPL version has a tighter requirement [this is
the case of v3], it will not restrict use of the current version of the
program, because it can still be used under GPL version 2. When a program
says "Version 2 of the GPL or any later version", users will always be
permitted to use it, and even change it, according to the terms of GPL
version 2--even after later versions of the GPL are available.

 If a tighter requirement in a new version of the GPL need not be obeyed for
existing software, how is it useful? Once GPL version 3 is available, the
developers of most GPL-covered programs will release subsequent versions of
their programs specifying "Version 3 of the GPL or any later version". Then
users will have to follow the tighter requirements in GPL version 3, for
subsequent versions of the program.

[...]

Me:
note that if your future contributions are GPL v3, this does not make all the
previous contributions v3. They stay v2

v2 and v3 are incompatible ('tis is what the FSF says, and it is reasonable) ,
and the "or above" which makes them compatible is illegal at least in
Switzerland, thus, to relicense the code as v3 or above, you _need_ the
permission of the authors.

Welcome to the world of people thinking that American law applies universally.
v3 is much better in this respect, but it does not solve our relicensing
problem.

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   Horngren's Observation:
        Among economists, the real world is often a special case.