[glob2-devel] Scons, CMake and autotools

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [glob2-devel] Scons, CMake and autotools
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:27:12 -0400

While k776 has recently taken to getting CMake to work across platforms, I've tried to get my Scons to work, and both are available in the tip of the master branch.

I think we should do a switch soon, much preferably before our next release. I've done some basic autoconf like functionality in the scons scripts based on the configure.in scripts. I have yet to have that functionality tie into the config.h file so that the rest of glob2 knows, but this will be done soon. Contrary to popular belief, Scons does make releases, in fact a new version was released just last May.

There excuse is that they do extremely rigorous testing on everything before a release, and you can't blame them for not going too fast. Scons is pretty much feature complete (at least for our use) so I see nothing wrong with doing the switch. Scons uses python, but python is already a dependency for Mercurial, so its not a large change.

I haven't tried cmake yet, and I'm not sure if it does anything like autoconf.

I was able to add dependencies with ease, and discovered our game doesn't use libGLU (game compiles and runs fine without linking to it), nor does it link with libz even though it tests for it. Both of these seem rather odd. Scons will make the whole process allot easier, not requiring expert knowledge, (unlike autotools).

I think we should do the switch to Scons.

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.