Re: [glob2-devel] Cmake issues, why we should stick with autoconf/make a

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Cmake issues, why we should stick with autoconf/make and ./configure
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:56:19 +0200

On 7/7/07, Kieran P <address@hidden> wrote:
I got bored so decided to do a little work on the new Cmake scripts. After a
bit of fiddling, I got it to compile fine on Mandriva, and using the right
files, so it was playable. However, there are some issues which I think are
important enough to scrap the ideas of adopting it as our main form of
compiling (what is now committed in hg can be an alternative in 1.0.0, but
not the main thing). Here are the reasons why:

* On the Globulation 2 screen, the version number in the bottom left corner
is not set anymore because autoconf is not being used. I'm sure this is
easily fixable by someone who knows who, but what I tried didn't work.

I just fixed this.

* Cmake has no support for the command "make dist", which makes it harder
when it comes to making the source package for releases.

I'll look into this.

* Cmake refuses to work, no matter what configuration, on MinGW. It throws
out lots of complaints.

I'd like to help. Can you provide us with a complaint-dump?

* In the configure script, a variable called LIBS is set twice, once to do
with opengl and another to do with mingw. Cmake has no method of
determining, setting, checking, and including these in the compile command.

These are platform-specific tests to find libraries. In cmake, it's
all done inside the find_package function.

For now, my opinion is to certainly have it as an optional compiler for
linux distributions (which should work fine), but maintain the configure
scripts (automake, autoconf, etc) as the main form (at least until cmake
developers further), as it is compatible with windows mingw compiler, and
the more widely used compiler.

I agree. cmake is certainly mature enough, but our cmake config isn't.

To do this, the files should probably be rewritten, or re organized at the
very least. I'll look into doing this in my spare time.

I'll try as well.

Martin