Re: [glob2-devel] Partial fix for lan games

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Partial fix for lan games
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:56:45 -0500

I'm sorry I haven't been able to work on this. I've been angrily yelling at my internet connection. I have made, and I am not kidding, probably 6 or 7 attempts to clone the respiratory over the last few days. Each time my internet cuts out at some point and the clone is canceled. I've had to re clone since I accidentally merged some branches that are still being worked on. All attempts are seemingly futile.

> I've found the problem with not being able to join a lan game.  It's a simple
> race condition: the client automatically connects to the first game, but
> doesn't wait for the list of games to arrive.  It happly reads the first item
> of an empty list.

If thats what the problem is, then the solution is to use YOG client events, and simply have the LAN game screen wait for that particular YOGClientEvent to arrive.

> But there's another problem: the game reports a desync immediately.  Strangely
> enough, the world dumps are identical.  For now I just disabled the desync
> check and played four or five games without a problem.

This is a very annoying bug that I thought I solved, but I guess it has resurfaced. The problem is most likely that its comparing older checksums to newer ones causing a desync. Another possibility is a more typical compare-to-null bug, or a memory problem. I'm trying to get on it as soon as possible.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.